Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

LOVE

Here’s a negative view on love from the baroque poet Giulio Strozzi

The insidious enemy, Love, circles

The fortress of my heart.

Hurry up, for he is not far away.

Arm yourselves!

We must not let him approach, so he can scale

Our weak walls,

But let us make a brave sally out to meet him.

Throw on the saddles!

His weapons are no fakes, he draws nearer

With his whole army.

Hurry up, for he is not far from here.

Everyone to his post!

He intends to attack the stronghold of my eyes

With a vigorous assault.

Hurry up, for he is here without any doubt.

Everyone to his horse!

There’s no more time, alas, for all of a sudden he

Has made himself the master of my heart.

Take to your heels, save yourselves if you can.

Run!

My heart, you flee in vain, you are dead.

And I hear the arrogant tyrant,

The victor, who is already inside the fortress,

Crying “Fire, slaughter!”

No comments:

Post a Comment