Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

A letter

Dear Music History,

I don't understand you. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you greatly. I mean, where would I be without you? (That's a whole other blog post. Scary) But you are just the most boring class. It makes no sense at all. We learned about Bach today, THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXCITING. We read about how he was so amazing at all he did and could predict a fugue or improvise a fugue or tell exactly how the acoustics worked in a hall that he had just walked in to. But yet again, I walked into class and the joy was sucked out of life (possibly an exaggeration?). It doesn't help that your classroom is like a meat locker. The theory room across the hall is full of bright flowers and colors (in my mind) and is warm. Sometimes when I sit in your class writing letters or planning out my day, I forget that it is still summer in Texas.

But enough about the room in which you hold us captive. I ask again. Why are you so boring? Maybe it's the fact that I only get a part of you this semester. We're only working with 200 years, so we have to move slowly I guess. Or maybe it's because there are people other than Bach and Beethoven who you have decided are important. Or even that we have to talk about vocal music. ugh. I might be just kidding about that last part.

Suffice it to say, I am disappointed in you. You act like you are dead. (Is history dead?) Maybe one day a Strange professor will come along and make you as interesting as you should be. Until then, I will only be a partial fan of yours.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment