Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Artistic Life

I came into senior year truly thinking that I had stuff mostly figured out. I knew who I was, what I wanted to do with my life, and had this beautiful (and might I add boring) picture of what this year would be like. Haha, if you ever catch yourself thinking those kinds of things, brace yourself! Life is much more interesting than you ever think it will be, and I think that God likes surprises. And I am so glad. While I hate waiting, and I don't like not knowing what's going on, and I especially have a hard time not being in control, if my life actually followed the ideal picture in my head, I would miss out on so much!

I'm a month into this last year of college and it's been (for lack of a better word) crazy. I dropped a class the first week of school, which means I am taking the minimum 12 hours. I planned to not accompany much, but have thrown that plan out the window because I've realized just how much I love playing with people! I need to keep the little bit of sanity that I have and always only practicing my own music by myself is the quickest way to start losing it :)


I also went from car-driving fiend ("I am such a good driver!"), to a bus-taking, walking-to-class hipster because I was in a wreck. It's a little frustrating to have to get a ride everywhere, and sometimes I feel trapped in my condo, but it's been getting cooler and my walks in the morning are always quite peaceful. I just crank up the ne-yo and neon trees in my earphones and I'm good to go, sometimes I dance-walk a little when no one's around.


My biggest realization of the semester though, is how terribly much I fit into the stereotype of an "artist". I've spent my whole college career trying to maintain a little normalcy in my life so that I could say that I'm not like most music majors. I love music majors and all, I was just trying to avoid the label of it. Welllll. My summer put me over the edge and I will now confidently say that I am a musician. Someone the other day was apologizing for being a little crazy, then said "oh wait, you're a music major, so you're really crazy, it's all good." Haha, I could do nothing but laugh and assure him that I try to hide it at first, but yes I'm crazy. I'll sing whatever I'm thinking, I'll spaz out and start daydreaming in the middle of a conversation, I don't sit still, and sometimes I just laugh at everything. (I LOVE anti-jokes) I'll talk about classical music all day if there's someone to listen (and even when there's not). An unsuspecting person asked me a music question yesterday and I started talking super fast and probably gave way too much information, but it was a happy moment for me. I also lack discipline and am a little (ok maybe a lot) unorganized. Someone today sent me an article on how to be disciplined as an artist, I'm a little scared but I know I NEED to read and apply it. Fortunately I live with people who accepted my craziness long before I did. And sometimes they serve as a buffer for things ;)


I'm also working on the best way to do this blog. My scatter-brained-ness means sometimes I just neglect this. But I've been given some ideas that I will hopefully be implementing soon!! Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment