Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Perspective

It's amazing what two days can do for my perspective. I always go into the weekend worn out and drained, so by Monday I am usually felling better. Yesterday I had to take a test for my piano literature class, but after that was over, I was home free! The joy of no class on Monday is not homework on Sunday!! So today was wonderful. I got up and walked to campus because it was THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MORNING. It was chilly and a breezy and sunny. So amazing. The only small hiccup in my day was the cricket in my practice room. How dare him! I wanted to peek out into the hallway and see if there was anyone who would come and smash him, but I just let him crawl away. ick. He didn't jump on me so I let him live.

I spent most of the day practicing and preparing for my piano lesson this evening. I am playing the most amazing sonata ever! But it's going to be the death of me. There is so much depth and detail in the music and I am struggling so much with it. It's a piece by Nikolai Medtner, a Russian 20th-century composer. I absolutely LOVE music from that time period and that area of the world. But it is SO complex! And since I don't understand the culture, there is much to be learnt from the music. The mood, the character, the feeling, the humor and the intensity all have to be understood in a certain context. And I am blessed to be taking from a teacher who gets it and helps me understand. This evening she was telling me how a student she taught this summer who was from a communist country was able to understand the piece so much easier. Well, I am obviously not from that part of the world, so I have a lot more learning to do. But it's good! And I enjoy it so much. My lessons always stress me out a lot, but sometimes I feel like they're worth it. (sometimes)

I also ran tonight! I am loving my new shoes! Though I'm getting a blister on the arch of my foot :( But that's normal I guess, so I'll get over it. I accidentally ran my first mile at 8:33, which was TOO fast, but finished the second mile at 18:20. So the second mile was almost 10 minutes. Pacing is something I should maybe work on? Also! My shoes are Adidas, which RGIII represents! So I feel like a real Baylor girl getting me some Adidas gear. But yeah, they're gonna be good. Hopefully all my shin issues will continue to go away - I think not running too fast will help that also. I'm finishing off the night in the kitchen with my roomies. After watching the premier of The Voice, we put on the Train Pandora station and I baked cookie bars for our MC tomorrow night. I have awesome roommates who will dance to the music with me as I stir the cookie dough :)I'd lie if I said I wasn't anxious about the start of all the Church stuff. I tell ya, this year really is stretching my people skills. So tomorrow as a co-leader of this group, I will be welcoming and meeting a bunch of new people! But that's tomorrow, I've gotta squeeze the last little bit of life out of this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment