Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Question and answer about awkward situations

I have strong feelings about awkwardness. I think most awkward situations can be avoided/diffused by friendliness - awkwardness is actually created by us, not by the situation. However, sometimes awkwardness can be augmented by your response. So, to address this issue, I am providing some answers to a few questions about awkward situations.

Q: when I have met someone once but see them around everywhere, how should I acknowledge that person?
A: I think you should smile real cutely then turn away real quick whenever you see them. Sometimes only half look in their direction. If they are of the opposite gender this is especially helpful to the situation.

Q: when someone I don't know comes to give me an unwanted hug, what do I do??
A: "embrace" the awkwardness and turn it into one of those super awkward side-hugs. That will send a loud and clear message.

Q: I'm a music student, and what should I do if I am rehearsing one-on-one with someone who doesn't really talk to me?
A: just be yourself and don't try to compensate for the other person's lack of vocalization. They are either socially unaware so you don't have to worry that they might think you are an awkward person. Or, they think you are just awesome and they feel so comfortable with you that they think you can read their mind.

Q: so I was talking with this girl and we didn't have enough interest in each other to keep up a conversation, so we quickly said goodbye. But then we ended up walking the same direction for a while. Can you say awkward! What should I have done?
A: in this situation, always mention how you are stalking them. Always.

In my real opinion, these situations can be delicately handled with friendliness. Be kind and gracious, knowing that they are probably feeling uncomfortable also and you can put them at ease. Then they will like you forever. What power!

No comments:

Post a Comment