Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Guest Post from my wonderful friend Maddie Mars

Cockroach. Does that word make you cringe? Because it should.

Cockroaches are one of the most resilient creatures on the face of this earth. Unfortunately, they are also one of the most disgusting creatures on the face of this earth. Cockroaches have been creeping and crawling around since the dawn of time and they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. They are brilliant little insects who are able to cleverly adapt to new environments. They can live for months without a consistent food and water source. They can even survive without their heads (umm...eww.) They also repopulate at an astronomical rate, meaning only the best survival characteristics get passed on from one bunch of cockroach babies to another. All of these qualities, while impressive for a cockroach, add up to an awful situation for humans who share the same living spaces as these little critters.

I had the lovely opportunity to encounter three cockroaches this weekend. Yes, that’s right. Three. All inside my condo. It was really quite pleasant, I assure you. I just love it when a large, black, ugly bug comes out of nowhere and scares me to the point where I run away crying and screaming my head off. It makes me even happier that this experience happened more than once.

Except...not. Worst. Thing. Ever.

I can think of a million things that I would rather have surprise me than a cockroach. Like what about a puppy? I’d be okay if puppies came out of my wall. Or flowers? What about a nice flower garden springing out of my ceiling? But no. I get surprised by cockroaches. Lucky me.

I suppose I am the one who has enc-“roached” on their property. (...get it?) Because they have been around since the dawn of time, and I have not, they technically have more rights to this land than I do. I am living in a condo that was built on their home, so it serves me right to have surprise visits from them every once in a while. Also, I can’t ignore the fact that they are intelligent creatures. I mean, they are able to outwit me...that’s impressive. I have to give at least some credit for that. With all of these things taken into consideration, I really should be more respectful of the thousands of my little, crawling roommates who hide in my walls...

...except my mom just called pest control and they are coming on Wednesday to terminate EVERY SINGLE COCKROACH in this condo.

Who’s smarter now you little six-legged, disease-ridden pest? That’s right. Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment