Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving!

I have to admit, Thanksgiving is a weird holiday. A friend and I were discussing the state of thanksgiving last night and though I truly love the holiday, I started thinking about it in a new way. The reasons I love thanksgiving are: it's a holiday and a break, usually spent with family. Since I'm away from home now it means I get to see my family (and this year our new dog). I also really do love the food. Stuffing and pies top the list, with cranberry relish and orange wassail up there on the list too. I also love that people still emphasize the importance of pausing to give thanks. Although we should be giving thanks on a daily, or even hourly basis, I appreciate that the holiday is a time to "formally" give thanks and often come together as a group to thank God for all things.

But what is the state of thanksgiving nowadays? Well, I think it's kinda evident when you hear so many people calling it "Turkey Day." Have we really relegated Thanksgiving to a day where we glorify gluttony and killing animals? I know, I know, that's a little harsh. But really? Turkey Day? No offense if you have found those words coming out of your mouth recently. Also, what happened to thanksgiving being the boundary for Christmas? While stores have been decorating before Thanksgiving for years, now actual people are decorating and listening to Christmas music before thanksgiving. Also, I don't get the whole pilgrim part of thanksgiving. Obviously, I understand that we are supposedly continuing the tradition of eating a big meal when the pilgrims landed. But I feel like any connection has been lost. I guess it's fun to dress up as pilgrims?

Well, despite all of it's imperfections, Thanksgiving is a holiday that I love. Thank you for 3 days off of class, and the chance to see my family (including my favorite 2 yr. old)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment