Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Happiness and Cheer

It's Christmas time again, but this year it's different. Basically the only thing that has remained unchanged is Christmas itself - lots of decorations, lots of traffic, and the joyful reminder of Christ humbling himself to come and live on earth. I'm also feeling the effects of overdosing on Christmas music in years past. The cheesy songs don't seem to have the same appeal this year, or maybe it's just that the weather is especially warm this year so the Christmas spirit is a little more mild than usual. This year has been a year of major changes, and next year brings even bigger ones. I guess I'm not used to the feeling that Christmas is this season that happens despite the whirlwind of life going on around it. And fortunately, I'm still a college student so life halts for about a month. I really get to sit back, take inventory of life and take time to stop and smell the Christmas trees.

So what's new this Christmas? The biggest change is location. My parents moved this summer so now instead of "going home", I "go to my parents' place" (except don't tell them I said that). Yes, there will always be a sense of home where my parents are, but I'm from South Carolina, not Texas. So as a family we have been asking what is it that makes Christmas for us? For me, it's Christmas decorations (most importantly the tree), and just being here. Plus, since I graduate in May and Katelyn also finishes law school, my parents are facing the fact that we probably won't ever have a Christmas where we are all home for an extended period of time. Talk about pressure to make this a good Christmas! Don't get me wrong, we love Christmas and it's always a great time of year, but I can sense this underlying seriousness when my parents talk about plans. Oh how I love my parents, they're great.

I also threw a wrench in their plans when I decided to leave two days after Christmas for a trip to Southeast Asia (if you want more details than that, it'll have to be in person). I'll be gone for 2 weeks, half of my Christmas break. I could have jumped on the plane a month ago! But my parents definitely needed some time to warm up to the idea. I've been doing a lot of prepping for this trip and they have enjoyed (well I think they have) being a part of it. They might even be excited for me now! Packing will commence soon and then it's finishing all the little details for international traveling. I sure do hope that this is a regular thing I get to do. I should have been an international business major. Except not really. Business suits are too stuffy for this free spirit.

So Christmas is coming just the same as it did last year. I know I'm a different person, but that makes these timeless traditions feel all the more special. And dang, I'm really feeling like an adult now.

No comments:

Post a Comment