Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Meditation

So, what first comes to your mind when you hear (or read) this word? To be completely honest, I picture some non-Christian religious practice with someone sitting indian style, thumb and middle fingers touching and chanting "ohmmmmmm". In my mind I don't necessarily think of meditation being a part of my relationship with Christ. However, at Church on Sunday one of our pastors was talking about how it's finals and and it is important that we don't lay our relationship with Christ aside while we are studying. We should keep reading Scripture, spending time in prayer, and meditating. "Wait, you are telling me to meditate?" It was a silly reaction, but what he said surprised me a little. Thinking about it now, it shouldn't have surprised me at all. Meditation should always be present in my life. Psalm 46:10 - Be still and know that I am God. Joshua 1:8 - Meditate on it [Scripture] day and night. Psalm 1:2 - His delight is in the Law of the Lord and on it He meditates day and night. Of course, I knew these verses all along and just sitting and being quiet is something that in my mind (not always in practice), I know it to be a good thing. Not only is meditation important for my Christian walk, it is healthy. Healthy emotionally, physically, mentally. And yes, I'm talking all out meditation. I am choosing to make it a part of my life. And my busy personality really fights it. I sit there wanting to watch the time, or plan out the rest of my day, or often I tell myself I can do something else (like clean) while I meditate. No. No no no. Will you take some time to meditate? It does wonders for your heart and soul. Maybe I'll start doing the indian style, finger thing. Who knows....

No comments:

Post a Comment